Fight Alpha Technology Scam

Fight => Small Claims - Step by Step Instructions => Topic started by: johannes on December 26, 2014, 11:51:10 am

Title: NEED HELP FOR FRENCH CUSTOMERS
Post by: johannes on December 26, 2014, 11:51:10 am
Hello,

I'm from FRANCE

I ordered 2x Viper (Scrypt) Miner (250Mh/s), for 10970£  FULLY PAID with bank transfer  :'(


For assistance leading to a refund I am willing to pay 10% of the refund commission  :P

I have already completed the  action fraud form online (2months ago)

I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE
Title: Re: NEED HELP FOR FRENCH CUSTOMERS
Post by: braaaah on December 26, 2014, 04:34:03 pm
Hi Johannes,

having lived in France for a few years, I feel obliged to help you out :)
My current status is the following: 1 ordered one 250 MH/s Viper, paid in full via bank transfer, got refunded 30 % and claiming the remaining 70 % in front of a court.
Your first bet at getting at least some money back is writing very decided mails to payments@alpha-t.net. Insist on a refund but don't accept it as a full and final payment. Reserve your rights to sue them later on.

Have you received the following mail from Alpha?

Quote
Greetings Customer,

We understand there have been many changes in the market since you ordered from us and many of you are not comfortable with completing your order. After much consideration we have decided to give partial refunds to all customers who desire them as a gesture of goodwill from us. It is of course not possible to refund everybody in full for obvious reasons even if we wanted to (the vast majority of funds have now gone into the production of the miners so the funds remaining to us are limited).  For those who want this it is as simple as replying to this email (payments@alpha-t.net) with all your paid order numbers (deposit and final payment) asking for a refund; be sure to email from the same address as your order with us. If you have orders over multiple email addresses then please send multiple emails for each request (for security reasons). For everybody else it is business as usual; and will be sending out the details of our share scheme soon as well as further updates on our production. We would also like to apologize in the delay of refunds and some payment related queries; this has been resolved so for those waiting on payments most of you can expect your refund/payment issue to be dealt with any day now.

Best Regards,

Mohammed Akram
Director

You can use that as a starting point.
Title: Re: NEED HELP FOR FRENCH CUSTOMERS
Post by: johannes on December 26, 2014, 05:19:18 pm
 ;)THANK YOU

I HAVE FULLY PAID 5485£ with bank transfer

Yes I got this mai and  and many others but I never accepted their conditions.

 I only want a 100% refund



 7 OCTOBER2014

To: johannes8483@hotmail.fr
payments@alpha-t.net
Hello,
 
 We are able to return 40% of your total payment as a gesture of
 goodwill. Please understand this has been no small undertaking and the
 vast majority of the funds have now gone into the production of these
 devices as per our agreement and to expect anything higher this late in
 the process is not realistic as the funds aren't there; it is
 unfortunately too late.
 
 If you paid via a bank transfer/bitcoin please provide your bank details
 if you agree to this full and final settlement and if you paid via
 PayPal simply confirm you agree to this full and final settlement. For
 an international bank we will need an IBAN and/or an account number, a
 swift code and/or your banks address, your account name and address.
 Please try to provide all or as much of this information as possible in
 case we run into any issues to save us from having to email again to ask
 for it. For a UK bank we will only need your account number, sort code,
 your account name and address.
 
 Regards,
 
 Alpha Technology
Title: Re: NEED HELP FOR FRENCH CUSTOMERS
Post by: Teerawut on October 30, 2017, 05:30:23 am
And other countries need help like this?
Title: Re: NEED HELP FOR FRENCH CUSTOMERS
Post by: Nopprols on September 26, 2018, 04:29:14 am
It is very good information.
Title: Re: NEED HELP FOR FRENCH CUSTOMERS
Post by: Nopprols on September 26, 2018, 04:30:17 am
It's a very good story. I like to read.